The Perfect Bowl of Oatmeal10:43
Oatmeal has become one of my favourite breakfast options because it not only keeps me fuelled through a busy morning, but it is also hugely versatile. There are so many ways to dress it up and I love to experiment with new flavours, especially as we move through the seasons (pumpkin spice oats anyone?!).
It is a high fibre, wholesome breakfast option that is also known to lower 'bad' cholesterol and today I am sharing a super simple recipe for the perfect bowl of oatmeal so that you can enjoy it too!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 chopped banana
- Handful of blueberries
- Honey or maple syrup
- Toast the oats in a dry saucepan on a low heat until lightly browned. This will take only a few minutes but ensure that you keep stirring the oats with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. Toasting will release a gorgeous nutty and sweet, popcorn-like aroma completely transforming your oatmeal - trust me on this one.
- Add the water, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When most of the water has been absorbed (around 5 minutes) add a splash of almond milk and continue to stir until the oats are nice and fluffy.
- Take off the heat and transfer to your bowl.
- Top with the chopped banana, blueberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Finish with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey and enjoy!